Scientific career development: the danger road map
Instituto Nacional de Astrofísica, Óptica y Electrónica (INAOE, Mexico)
We will describe the typical career path of a researcher in Physics. We will focus on the internal and external challenges we all need to overcome in the quest for a career in academia, and the options and alternative career paths a PhD in Physics opens:
- description of the typical career path of a researcher: mobility and opportunities
- advice for starting students: project focus, who to learn from, networking
- battling the dark thoughts in our heads: impostor syndrome and mental hygiene
- unconcious bias in science: the cultural micro-stoppers for minorities
- general recommendations on support systems.